This Thing Called Trust

I am learning that I am not so good at this whole trust thing. I mean if someone asked me if I was a trusting person, I would say, "yes, definitely!". Do you trust God? "Of course!" But lately God has really been asking me to trust Him, every moment of every day, and I am realizing just how hard that can be. Completely trusting in the Lord means letting go of all control, something with which I am not very comfortable. Sometimes I will let go of controlling something, place it in His hands for a while, but I am all too often guilty of taking it back and trying to control it again. I KNOW in my head that He is the absolute best person to trust with anything and everything, and I want to, but actually walking it out is the hard part. Not allowing fear or worry to creep back in, not allowing myself to try to control and plan again - this is where the daily battle is found.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."   Proverbs 3:5-6

One of the very first verses I ever memorized and one of my absolute favorites. I even quote it to myself and to others quite often. But do I actually walk it out? Do I truly believe it? I want to, and with God's help - His continued grace and willingness to teach me, I will, more and more each day.

I feel the Lord beckoning to me. "Trust Me" He says. "Lean on Me." "Put all your hope in Me." "Focus on Me." "Renew your mind with My Word, every day." I think the biggest lesson I am learning, apart from my need to trust Him every moment of every day, is that there is no reason not to trust Him. As He reveals His overwhelming love towards me and His all sufficient grace for me, it just makes sense to trust Him.

As I am learning this, I have to remember how much of the battle takes place in my mind. This is why I need a steady dose of God's Word and lots of accountability and support from others. It doesn't take long at all for wrong thinking to creep back in and for those all too familiar feelings of worry and doubt to reappear.

So here's to continuing on this journey called life, and hopefully with each new day I will learn to trust my Savior more and more.


’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
  • Refrain:
    Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
    How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
    Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
    Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My (VERY) Imperfect Perfect Life

Remembrance

I'm Back...